Electro-mechanical Technician Job Description in Quebec
Electromechanics is a science that combines elements of electrical and mechanical engineering. People working in this field design systems related to both aspects. They can work in the public or private sector, in companies focused on electronics, electrical energy, telecommunications and even in manufacturing.
Are you interested in this profession? Keep reading to learn more! Our experts from the electromechanics department at HARtech will answer your most frequently asked questions:
● What is an electro-mechanical technician?
● What does an electro-mechanical technician do?
● How do I become an electro-mechanical technician?
● What are the pros and cons of being an electro-mechanical technician?
What is an electro-mechanical technician?
The electro-mechanical technician is the professional in charge of analyzing, developing and maintaining systems and devices related to electromechanics. They are responsible for overhauling all equipment and machinery, from the simplest to the most industrial.
These technicians can work all over and in various industries. They also maintain hydraulic and electrical systems.
Electro-mechanical technicians can also oversee projects in factories. They expand, upgrade and modify machines to make them more efficient.
What does an electro-mechanical technician do?
● Ensures that the equipment, industrial plants and machinery are functioning and obtaining the proper results
● Manages technical information and interprets the functional and technical characteristics of the systems under their responsibility
● Designs tools that allow them to do their job more efficiently
● Operates machines and programs equipment; occasionally assembles equipment or supervises its assembly.
● Detects and reports any safety hazards in the equipment or equipment operation
How do I become an electro-mechanical technician?
A high school diploma is usually required. Most provinces in Canada issue electro-mechanical technician certificates. To be eligible for this certification, you typically need to have completed a four-year apprenticeship program or have four years of work experience in the electromechanics industry.
Finally, qualified electro-mechanical technicians can obtain the Red Seal endorsement after passing the interprovincial examination.
The average salary for an electro-mechanical technician in Canada is $52,650 per year. In Quebec, salaries range from $18.75 to $35.00 per hour. Job prospects are excellent according to Emploi Québec.
What qualities are required for this job?
To succeed as an electro-mechanical technician, you must:
● Enjoy working with your hands and operating industrial equipment
● Understand different processes and like problem-solving
● Enjoy working in a team
● Like learning new technology
● Be independent and observant
● Handle stress well
What are the pros and cons of being an electro-mechanical technician?
One of the main advantages is that you will have a diverse range of career options. The profession requires both engineering and mechanical skills. You may have to program and repair machines, carry out electrical installations or work in industrial plants.
Perhaps one of the biggest drawbacks of this profession is that there is no down time. You’re constantly applying what you’ve learned, and it’s crucial to stay alert and focused. A few minutes of carelessness on your part can cause major problems for the company that’s trusted you with its equipment.