Many industrial machines require routine lubrication for proper operation. However, due to their characteristics such as their shape or frequency of use, some machines cannot retain oil effectively. After a few years of use, they become damaged and lose their efficiency.
Using a suitable industrial lubricating grease is often the solution. This is designed not to drip or disperse and also acts as a seal to prevent contaminants from entering.
Our specialists in machine maintenance and repair introduce this product, which is essential for the proper functioning of machines.
What is industrial grease?
Industrial grease, also called mechanical grease, is mainly composed of a heavy oil mixed with a thickener, often soap, which makes it thicker and stickier than oil, and then an additive.
These different elements ensure that the grease does not disintegrate when the machines are in operation.
- Oil: Most greases produced today are made of mineral oil. This offers high performance for most industrial machines. However, for extreme temperatures, a synthetic oil-based grease will offer better stability because it is much more resistant to heat.
- Thickener: This is the material that, when combined with the selected lubricant, gives the grease a solid or semi-fluid structure. The most common thickener used is metallic soap. It can be made of lithium, aluminum, clay, polyurea, sodium and calcium. Lately, greases composed of “complex thickeners” are becoming increasingly popular because of their high dropping point and excellent loading capacity.
- Additives: These can play several roles, primarily to improve existing properties or to remove undesirable properties. They can act against rust, wear or friction, for example.
Finally, lubricants can also be incorporated into industrial grease. They reduce wear and friction on surfaces without causing undesirable chemical reactions that would damage the equipment.
Why use industrial grease?
Components inside machines come into contact with each other when they are in operation, generating friction and heat.
Industrial grease reduces and minimizes these effects and increases the service life of the machinery. As a result, contact is reduced, friction is very low and machine movements stay smooth for many years.
The advantages of industrial grease can be summarized as follows:
- Better surface adhesion
- Better sealing and insulation of the product
- Excellent protection against wear and corrosion
- Work at higher operating temperatures
- More efficient noise and vibration absorption
However, in some circumstances, grease is a worse choice than lubricating oil. This is why, when it comes to maintaining your equipment, you should always err on the side of safety.
If you are in Quebec, you can contact us to ensure the proper mechanical maintenance of your industrial equipment. Our 20 years of experience are invaluable when it comes to choosing the right maintenance methods for your industry and the environment your machines operate in.
If you are interested, you can also read our article on the basics of industrial mechanics to learn more about this fascinating art.
When to use industrial grease instead of oil
Grease is generally used for :
- Machines that are used infrequently or intermittently
- Machines that cannot be serviced frequently. High quality mechanical greases are ideal for lubricating components that are inaccessible for long periods of time, such as during a temporary plant shutdown
- Equipment that operates under extreme conditions such as high temperatures and pressures or that must withstand heavy loads
- Reviving worn components, in which the grease produces a thick film and can extend the life of worn parts that were previously lubricated with oil
Once again, if you need advice for the maintenance of a machine and especially if you are unsure of which products to use, do not hesitate to contact us.
Industrial machine maintenance, handled by professionals
As you can see, industrial grease is an essential product to keep your machinery running smoothly. It is a different kind of lubricant than oil, but it should be used with care.
As always, HARtech is available to help you. Do you have a specific need in your plant? Are you afraid of doing the wrong thing or do you simply prefer to outsource the maintenance of your machines to one of the most recognized industrial mechanics companies in Quebec? You can fill out our contact form or call us at (514) 422-8282 right now. We will gladly provide a professional and quick solution to your needs.
Articles that might interest you
Productivity is a key factor in determining the profitability and competitiveness of an industry. Whether your company has small-scale production with only one or two